Friday, February 25, 2011

Awesome Bat-Gossip!

I have a great friend that is 10x more into Batman than I am (that's a LOT) and he always seems to have great ins on the news and goings-on in the Bat-verse, especially with the recent films.  The other day I got a message from him with some fan-fucking-tastic bits of fact and rumor that demand to be shared. Here they are, C&Ped directly from his message.

1. Tom Hardy was on a European TV show talking about Bane. He says do NOT imagine Bane as he was seen in 1997s Batman & Robin. He did say he's been asked to "bulk up to 14 stone" (aka 190-200 pounds) and that it has to be all muscle. Says he is due to begin filming in May.

2.  Michael Caine says Nolan has said "the script is not done. But It'll be done in two weeks." Seems the script was waaaaaaay long and Nolan is tightening things up a bit.

3.  Marion Cotillard, who was recently seen in Inception playing Mal, has been reported in French news outlets to have signed on for a role in the film. Hints are being dropped that she will, in fact, play Talia.

4.  Principal photography will begin in India and scenes will be filmed at the New York Stock Exchange in October. Pittsburgh was also written in as a location but has since been dropped because they have frozen their tax break for filmmakers.

5.  There is a quiet but fairly reliable rumor in the murky depths that Joseph Gordon Levitt (also seen in Inception, as Arthur) has been cast as Harold Quinn. One source is saying it makes perfect sense as there will be no more Joker on screen what with Ledger's death, the romantic connection between Jokes and Harley is irrelevant. Harold, on the other hand, will play Joker's psychiatrist at Arkham, who begins to believe the spewings of the Joker aaaaaand.....if the source who has the inside source is to be trusted.....HE will become the next Joker in later films. I can't verify the accuracy of the rumor but it's better than the "Levitt is gonna play Joker's brother" rumors. What brother? You tools.

6.  Paul Franklin, who will again be handling the F/X duties, confirms that neither Bane nor Catwoman will be digitally enhanced.

7.  Wally Pfister has said that "as much is actually possible" will be filmed in IMAX. He's read the screenplay and says the opening sequence will surpass the bank heist of The Dark Knight, AND, as if there was ever going to be any doubt, he says Anne Hathaway looks "phenomenal in wardrobe."

I haven't seen much of Hardy besides Inception, but if Nolan has picked him, there's a good chance he's worth it; I'm looking forward to seeing what he and Nolan do with Bane.  

In regards to tidbit #3, I have mixed feelings; Cotillard is an award-winning actress but I don't think she looks, well, exotic enough.  Her eyes are very innocent - rounded and with prominent under-eye lids -  her nasolabial folds also make her face appear rounder, and her nose turns up at the end... she reminds me of an older Mila Kunis.  I'm not saying she's not pretty, she definitely is, but I just don't see her fitting the appearance of this role very well.  I liked the earlier rumors of Eva Green taking the role, but I haven't heard her name tossed around as much.

I rather like the rumor of tidbit #5.  I can understand some people's hesitance with this one - it's definitely screwing with the base mythos of the Joker character - but it's an interesting twist on it and one I think Nolan could pull off (he's got the story-telling chops).  Also, I agree with my friend on the "brother" thing; that would just be lame and is a tool's way to write around problems.

#s 6 & 7 excite me A LOT!  The previous films were great to watch in IMAX (it's also such a relief that Nolan, as last I heard, has talked WB out of trying to make this in 3D). The whisper that The Dark Knight's bank heist will be topped gets my film-geekgirl heart all a-twitter with anticipation! I'm also pleased that there won't be digital enhancing of Bane or Catwoman - it wouldn't fit with the Gotham that Nolan has created, it's much too realistic and gritty to accept a guy that looks like The Thing from the Fantastic Four movies (ugh).  Last, but certainly not least, tidbit #6 outright says Hathaway will portray "Catwoman"! The original press release from WB notably only said "Selena Kyle", which left me wondering if they'd play it as they did with Harvey Dent by not having the alter-ego come out until much later in the film.  Of course Hathaway looks phenomenal in wardrobe! That woman could rock a paper bag and I'd still switch teams to tap that.

Please please please comment with thought, musing and whatever because I love talking this kind of gossip out of my system.  Many thanks to H for the awesome gossip!

No comments:

Post a Comment