Thursday, February 10, 2011

Coming Attractions: February Edition

Ah February, month of Groundhogs, Presidents and Valentines! Not too many movies this month, though there are still leftovers from last month's releases I'd like to see, so it balances out.


The Other Woman (2/4) [LA/NYC]
The Plot:  A look at a woman dealing with being a new wife to her former boss, stepmother to his son and expectant mother. When tragedy strikes, she must maneuver the dynamics of her new life while dealing with a grief she has never known.
The Player:  Natalie Portman, Scott Cohen, Lisa Kudrow, Lauren Ambrose, Charlie Tahan, Anthony Rapp. Directed by Don Roos
The Prospective: I'm definitely intrigued by the relationship dynamics in this movie.  The kid has a quirky quality that I dig. Plus, any Gilmore Girls fans reading this, Scott Cohen played Max Medina in the first season, so it's cool to see him again.

The Eagle (2/11)
The Plot:  "In 140 AD, Roman soldier Marcus Aquila embarks on a quest to restore the reputation of his father, the one-time commander of Rome's Ninth Legion, who disappeared in the mountains of Scotland twenty years earlier.
The Players:  Channing Tatum, Jamie Bell, Donald Sutherland, Mark Strong. Directed by Kevin Macdonald.
The Prospective:  I do love period pieces, even battle filled Roman ones.  Tatum isn't much of a draw for me, but Bell, Strong and Sutherland are.

Vanishing on 7th Street (2/18) [NYC]
The Plot:  A massive power blackout causes a city's population to vanish, a handful of survivors band together in an effort to survive as darkness approaches.
The Players: Hayden Christensen, Thandie Newton, John Lequizamo. Directed by Brad Anderson.
The Prospective: Not too big of a Christensen fan, but the other talent is pretty good.  The story is all suspenseful and creepy. Plus, Anderson was the director of The Machinist, which I loved!

Other Comments
Gnomeo & Juliet - OK, so this looks super cheesy and like a lame take on a Shakespearean play. But it has some great actors providing voice talent (Emily Blunt, Maggie Smith, James McAvoy), so while not I won't see it in theaters, I will see this at some point.
I Am Number Four - Yes, I kinda want to see it.  However, since it's trying to pick up on the Twilight crowd, I'm not expecting much and will probably wait for Netflix. 
Drive Angry 3D - Ha ha ha! This one looks like Ghostrider meets Gone in 60 Seconds.A second Nic Cage cheese-fest in as many months and it's in 3D!  


*Note: Some of the dates I get (from imdb.com) are on limited releases, meaning we may not get them in the neck of the woods at the same time as other places, if at all.  If I can get updates for these, I will re-post them,

No comments:

Post a Comment